Blog number two.... it might explain my current lack of enthusiasm for blog number 1
www.travismakes3.blogspot.com

Monday, March 24, 2008

They should just grow cream filled!

When we thought we were going to get off easy and only have to attend one Easter celebration this year, I had written a special recipe for green beans and planned on making that. Then the weekend filled up.... FAST! I spent Friday night washing clothes and cleaning house so I could get up early Saturday and make two desserts and start Saturday night's dinner in time to be at a friend's daughter's second birthday party at 1:30 pm. I was 30 minutes late. I was very busy! The first dessert was the chocolate pie everyone around me has grown so fond of. Only, to make it extra pretty for Easter, I lined the top with strawberry halves and filled in the center of that with mini chocolate chips. I had a request that more chocolate be on top, haha! As if the center of the pie wasn't enough. I also used Ghirardelli chocolate this time..... yum! I should of snapped a picture, it was VERY beautiful!

Dessert number two was something that I found a while back here and couldn't wait to try out. Mine did not turn out nearly as pretty... but I'm sure they were just as tasty! I did change the filling recipe up a lot though. The best part was hearing people say, "I've never heard of stuffing strawberries" and then watching them dissappear :)

Stuffed Strawberries
recipe by me, based on above link

2 pounds of strawberries
4 large egg yolks, I used SafeEggs
3/4 cup of sugar
1 tpsn vanilla extract
2 cups mascarpone cheese

Beat the egg yolks and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla and cheese.

To prepare the berries for stuffing, I washed them and cut off their greenery. Then I took the tip of my knife and stuck it in the opening of the berry, where it is hollow inside, and just twisted it to open it up a little more.

I put the cheese mixture into a pastry bag and filled each hollow and set it cream side down into a dish, then I swirled the top with the mixture so people would have a vision of what was to come.

~~~~~

Once I got into the swing of stuffing them, it was a breeze. I initially started by trying to carve out the insides and that just became too tedious. Amber's Delectable Delights shows another way to stuff them, and that would of worked if my berries had been a little more firm. Either way.... extremely tasty!!





1 comment:

Jaime said...

I love stuffed strawberries. I've had them before, but never made them myself. It is too funny that we made very similar dishes this weekend!