Blog number two.... it might explain my current lack of enthusiasm for blog number 1
www.travismakes3.blogspot.com

Monday, March 24, 2008

Happy Easter!

This year, my Easter basket was something that wouldn't just get shoved into a closet until it could be refilled next year. In fact, it was something that will get refilled time and time again before I even see Easter 2009! Now, THAT'S a riddle ;)

This was my Easter basket -
And I couldn't be happier.

It isn't just a crock pot. It is stoneware. The "pot" part can be removed and actually set on the table. If you didn't know it just came out of a "crock" you would never be able to tell! All this and it was only $40 at Lowe's.

The first meal I cooked in it had to be superb. My in-laws were coming over on Easter Eve for a quiet pre-Easter dinner. I always feel the need for everything to be perfect when they come over. I don't know why. I guess I want them to know that Bradley is in good hands. So for this meal, nothing could be store bought!! Well... if it was, they should not be able to tell! I had it planned out perfectly - a slow cooker pot roast, garlic rosemary mashed potatoes, my wonderful cheesy beer bread and the cute little cream puff parfaits for dessert. The original slow cooker roast recipe can be found HERE But of course I made a few simple changes.

Slow Cooker Pot Roast
based on Paula Deen's recipe


2 pound boneless chuck roast
herbs De Provence
olive oil
one onion, sliced
baby carrots
3 bay leaves
3 crushed beef bouillon cubes
1 clove minced garlic
1 can condensed cream of mushroom with roasted garlic soup
1/2 cup Chardonnay wine
water

In a cast iron skillet, heat up enough olive oil to cover the bottom of the skillet. Rub the entire roast with herbs De Provence (or whatever seasoning you prefer, I just wanted to use my new spice). Once the oil is REALLY hot, use tongs to position the roast in the pan until all sides are brown.

Transfer the roast to the crock pot and arrange the onions, carrots, bay leaves, crushed bouillon and garlic around it. Spoon the condensed soup on top of the veggies and pour the wine on top of the soup. Finish with 1 & 1/2 to 2 soup cans filled with water, pouring it over the veggies also. Cook on "low" for 8 hours.

If you prefer a thick gravy - Once the 8 hours is up, spoon out about 2 cups of the juice. Mix it with 2 -3 tablespoon of flour and pour it back in. Stir it together with the rest of the juices and hold it on the "warm" setting until ready to eat.

~~~~~

I haven't had much luck with cooking a roast in the past, but this one really shined! It was perfectly juicy. The searing before cooking really added a lot to the dish!



No comments: