Blog number two.... it might explain my current lack of enthusiasm for blog number 1
www.travismakes3.blogspot.com

Monday, October 22, 2007

See you in a year, Cary :(


Today my husband's best friend leaves for Iraq to be an on base fire fighter. He is not only Bradley's best friend; he is also one of mine. He is the third plate at my dinner table.... or in our case, at the coffee table. I don't know what we're going to do without him.... but a year will fly by quick I'm sure.... I hope!

Saturday night we had a going away party for him. His favorite food is Mexican and the party theme was "fire", so spicy Mexican food seemed to fit. I made my famous salsa and quesa-deLas.... and we also had some hot dogs for good measure. Everything was a big hit! I'm so glad; I wanted the party to be really special for Cary. All I heard was "I need the recipe for this salsa!" Don't worry girls, I told you it was easy.... and I meant it -

DeLa's Blender Salsa
recipe by me!

2 cans of Del Monte Stewed Tomatoes - Mexican Recipe
1 can of Rotel - your choice of flavor, I prefer Mexican Festival (blue label)
one bunch of cilantro, stems removed
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon garlic powder
juice of one lime

** tip: try not to play around with the salt and garlic powder, using two tablespoons of garlic salt instead of the above makes it too salty to eat **

Slightly drain the canned items, and dump everything on the list into the blender. Pulse until you reach the consistency you desire, I prefer the "liquefy" button. Keep it chilled and keep the "salsa bowl" full!

At work, we have a dip that everyone loves called chicken dip. It has 3 simple ingredients: canned chicken, cream cheese and ranch powder. To be so simple, it is so delicious! Last football season I served it a few times, but then it started to get old. So I played with the ingredients and came up with the filling for the second item on the party's menu (sorry the descriptions of size are so bad) -

Quesa-DeLa's
recipe by me, again!

one of the larger cans of chicken
one tub of whipped cream cheese
1/3 cup taco seasoning

Mix everything together and do a taste test to make sure the seasoning is right. Add a little more if you need to. Now... here comes the part where you get creative! This is extremely versatile! From here, you can pour it into a bowl, top with shredded cheese and serve with chips as a dip. You can spread it onto a flour tortilla, roll it up and cut into pinwheels. Or, you can do like I did (above) and sandwich between two flour tortillas and cut into triangles. It would even make a great 8th layer to 7 layer dip. You just do what your stomach tells you to do and everything will come out right!



Good luck Cary! We love you and can't wait to see you again!

No comments: