Blog number two.... it might explain my current lack of enthusiasm for blog number 1
www.travismakes3.blogspot.com

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Just stick with what you know

Ask any old southern lady what all she has fried in her lifetime, and I bet she will say, "It'll be easier to tell you what I have NOT fried". Just the other night one of my besties called me simply to say "Paula Deen is about to fry DRESSING!!!". And we don't waste any time saying "deep fat fried" or "deep fried", because we know you are waiting to hear what comes after the word "fried". It helped make the south famous!

If Bradley had it his way, we would be eating fried everything for all meals. When we first got married I said "NO" and now we fry a lot more things. Here is where I will insert on of Paula's quotes, "worth the weight". But I still won't just fry to be frying!! Like frozen chicken fingers and frozen fries... those can go in the oven and save us a few hundred calories.

I know I made the remark that I wasn't sure if I could post my famous batter recipe on here. I found out why... it really is going to make me famous. I used a different recipe so I would be able to post it up, and it didn't work out too great. They fried up nicely but the crust did not stick very well. Don't get me wrong... we ate them! But I should of just used my recipe instead of making it "all about the reader".

When I become famous you can just go to my restaurant and buy a "bag o batter". I have used it on everything, I even fried chicken Sunday night with it!

Buttermilk Fried Green Tomatoes
recipe courtesy of recipetips.com


oil to fill pan 1/4 inch deep

1 1/2 cups cornmeal

2 tablespoons salt

2 tablespoons black pepper

2 tablespoons paprika - hot if desired

1 1/2 cups buttermilk

  • Heat oil over medium high heat in a large skillet.
  • Pour buttermilk into a shallow dish.
  • Mix cornmeal with the rest of the seasoning ingredients in another shallow dish.
  • Dip each tomato slice into the buttermilk then dredge it in the cornmeal mixture.
  • Fry each slice in the oil until browned, 3-5 minutes.
  • Turn and cook the other side until browned.
  • Remove to a paper towel lined plate or baking sheet.
  • Keep warm in a 200° oven while cooking the rest of the slices.
~~~~~


No comments: